Sunday, May 18, 2008

I'm here

written for Greenrice’s art exhibition “We’re Here”

By what name do you call me?

That which shows an American identity

Nugyen or Gwen instead of Nguyen

Name me for me, name me for my new society.


Under what race do you classify me?

No such classification, you say

This is the land of equal opportunity

Why this feeling of second class citizen?

Learn your English, drop your accent

And you will understand equal protection.


You show me your land, and with me share freedom.

To be free to dream, oh, how thankful I am!

But I am wearied by the freedom to exploit

I am your victim. Others will be mine

I am here. I am to stay. Why should I ever mind?


I grew in the fields, in the mountains, and by the sea

Things needed no explanations until I moved to the City

I lost my innocence and gained wisdom of the street

Still I rotted. In that corner of hell, I learned defeat

I no longer was. You give me a chance to be

That is not a question. At least not for me

I escaped by boat, dragging with me hunger, thirst, and an entire ocean

I don’t know how I survived, but living is now my mission.

I am here. I am to live. Why should I not be?


In this great new home, everyone has rights

Responsibilities are things we can compromise

Life here is a corporation, the wealthy have more shares than I

Happiness is on sale, and I have no money to buy

You show me the way. You show me opportunities

“Don’t thank me,” you say, ”Just pay my fees.”

I am lucky, I know, for all I have received

To complain of my fate, I have myself to deceive.

I am here. I am to thrive. Why should I not believe?


When I first came to you, I was ragged, disheveled, and ugly

You taught me to appreciate my inner beauty

I listened to you and forgot my externals

But your appearance reminded me of TV commercials

You now tell me, competition is a show

Increase your sound bytes and your chances will grow

This is civilized world, no such thing as simplicity

Don’t be perplexed by its complexity

I must say that I think: “You contradict yourself.”

But who am I to say, I being just myself

I will accept your words, I will adopt your ways

Though now I feel I’m lost in your maze

I am here. I am to learn the rules. Why should I not play?


I am a refugee. I am an immigrant. I am an alien.

You once were, if your memory serves you well.

I am here. You are here. One day, you and I will be WE.

I am sure of it. WE will be here. WE will be.

Đỗ Quý Dân

1 comment:

Arthur said...

wow, I really like that.