Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Trip to Hue

At the beginning it was an adventure. Yes, going to Vietnam by myself to photograph such an exotic place was very appealing. But then I got to Hue, and my life changed. I really didn't know what to expect, but I never thought meeting those children was one of the most richening experiences I have ever had. It was such a great lesson of life. They welcomed me with a wonderful party, they sang, danced and opened their hearts to me. I was in awe to see that these children that had gone through traumatic life experiences, were incredibly happy and shared so much love. There was this palpable pride among them and there was hope floating in every corner of the room.They have each other's backs, someone to lean on. They know it. And it makes them strong; you could see it in those beautiful dark eyes. They are going through life knowing they will not be alone anymore and that they are being loved. And that love will help them grow and become someone... whoever they want to be. At least they have doors to open now.I left Hue with my heart full of hope and love. We always forget about the power of a hug, a warm bed, and a plate of food on our table, because they are things we take for granted. We don't stop to think about how we can make a difference if we cared more, if we shared a hug, if we comforted someone in need or in pain. And how the world would be a much better place if we did.I still have those faces with their huge smiles and sweet eyes in my mind... and they will never go away...I will make sure they don't.


Children at the Friends of Hue Foundation's Shelter
Eleonora Ronconi

No comments: